Future IKE Musicians!
The Michigan Department of Education has a set standard of requirements that each student must meet in order to graduate with a state-endorsed diploma. Called the “Michigan Merit Curriculum,” it will provide Michigan’s students the learning opportunity, knowledge and skills they need to succeed in college or in the global job market. The standards will require that each student obtain a minimum amount of credits in various subjects.
The great news is that, like you, the Department of Education considers the arts to be a critical component to the educational process and insists that a fine art requirement be included in the state-wide curriculum. When your 8th grader joins band in 9th grade, they are on their way to a successful high school career by fulfilling this requirement!
Current college bound high school students are taking courses that meet the standards while also having a band class all four years. In addition to their primary band class, some students take Jazz Band or an extra concert band as their electives in their Junior and Senior years. This demonstrates that band CAN be a part of every student’s schedule, including MST/CSI students! With a little planning and consideration to scheduling in their first year, every student can take band for four years while still satisfying the graduation requirements. We all know that colleges and employers look highly upon band students in the application process because it shows commitment, discipline, and team work.
Please see the links below with additional information about making band a part of the schedule. This includes information on the many opportunities that await your student in instrumental music at the high school level along with sample schedules to help alleviate any apprehension about participating in band while still maintaining a rigorous high school experience. Please contact us at the high school with any scheduling concerns. There are also various parents we can put you in touch with if you would like another parent perspective.
As the Michigan Depart of Education has recognized, student involvement in the arts is an important factor for a well-rounded education. We look forward to seeing the 9th graders at the high school next year!
We have also included pages with informative links including:
- 8th Grade Welcome Letter: 8th Grade Welcome to Ike (2021)
- 9th Grade Welcome Letter: 9th Grade Welcome to Ike (2021)
- Sample Schedules: Sample Schedules (2021)
- EHS Instrumental Music Brochure: EHS Bands Brochure
- Some of the OUTSTANDING BENEFITS of being involved with high school band.
- ADDITIONAL OPTIONS for acquiring graduation requirements online and/or off-site. COMING SOON!
- INFORMATION for PARENTS and STUDENTS new to the program.
- VIDEOS provided by the State Superintendent.
- Become a Marching Eagle Video: Become a Marching Eagle – YouTube
- Ike Band Promotion Video: Ike Band Promotion Video – YouTube