Please look below for the 2020 Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, and Jazz Ensemble Audition Information. PLEASE NOTE: Only students who would like to audition into a higher ensemble need to complete the audition process. For example, a student currently in Symphonic Band must audition to be in Wind Ensemble. If they choose to not audition, they will remain in Symphonic Band next year. Students currently in Jazz Ensemble do not need to re-audition for next year. If you are planning to participate in two concert ensembles, you do not need to audition for the second ensemble, even if you are playing a different (“secondary”) instrument.
Junior High Students that wish to audition for Symphonic Band or Wind Ensemble may complete this assessment as well (not for a grade). If they choose not to, they will be placed automatically into Concert Band. Please remember that ALL MST/CSI INCOMING 10TH GRADERS MUST AUDITION for Symphonic Band because of scheduling. If you do not audition, you may not be able to be in band which affects marching band as well!!
Once the audition results are posted, we will take care of adjusting schedules for the students it affects. Please note that in order to enroll in Jazz Ensemble, a concurrent Band Ensemble must be taken. This does not apply for guitar, piano, and bass students.
- Please read the Audition Information 2020 document carefully. It details exactly what you need to play for the audition, including what choices you need to make. Play the most difficult scales/etude that you can play well.
- It is not necessary to fill out the second page yet (Audition Information Form).
- Students will be responsible for recording a video of themselves playing the audition materials and submit it online. At this point, please focus only on practicing the audition materials and stay posted for the submission process to be released soon. Percussionists should practice their audition requirements, but may have an alternative audition process because of the equipment used.
- For Jazz Ensemble — remember that you must be enrolled in a band class to be in Jazz Ensemble (guitar, piano, and bass students are the only exceptions.) If you have questions about meeting graduation requirements while taking two band classes, please contact your counselor and/or Mr. Carrothers.
- Concert Ensembles Audition Information: 2020 Audition Information (Concert Ensembles)
- Audition Form for reference
- Etudes: Advanced Assessment
Within that etude page, play ONE of the themes or variations (the variations get progressively more difficult). There is a point boost for the more difficult variations ONLY IF it is played well. Play the most difficult etude that you can play well.
- Scale Audition Sheet: Proficiency Scales (Concert Ensembles)
2020 Jazz Ensemble Auditions Info/Documents
- Jazz Ensemble Info/Audition Form: 2020 Audition Information (Jazz Ensemble)
- Jazz Scale Audition Sheet: Audition Scales (Jazz Ensemble)